Sunday, March 22, 2009

Spring Equinox


Being able to read symbols comes in handy when you are trying to discern the deeper meanings of these old pagan holy days. For instance three enduring symbols associated with Lady's Day (or what ever you prefer to call the spring equinox) are the moon hare, eggs and Wotan's cross (as seen on hot cross buns). The egg is a womb symbol and refers to resurrection. But which egg is it? It is not the cosmic egg, nor the solar egg lain by the Nile goose goddess. It is the lunar egg laid by the hare goddess. In symbolism moon = body, because the moon's seeming importance fades as the sun rises; and sun rise equates with spiritual awakening or rebirth. This all points to spring equinox as the time devoted to the resurrection of the human body, as a parallel to the resurrection of the Earth Mother, seen in the greening of spring.

We have been taught that we are all dying, and most of us are, and the reason I have been taught that this is so, is because we fall into stagnation. Our survival instincts keep us tied to the reality that we know, and we stop expanding into the world. We settle for our own known corner. For instance, we may desire the freedom of wealth very much, but if we aren't used to it, it is an unknown. That part of us responsible for our survival looks at wealth and sees an unknown, fearful thing. How will our lives change if we do manifest wealth? We don't know, and so when the opportunities come we don't act. The bugger is, if we aren't growing, experiencing the new, spirit sees no reason for our lives to continue and we age.

So, Wotan's cross, made into food gives us an answer. There are various meanings to the symbol, but the one that goes with this set of symbols is that there is a need to focus. It says draw all your attention to this one spot, and make it be a thing you want to experience that is new in your life. Now focus on it.

So, saying we try this out, how long do we focus? As long as you can is a good answer. Until you feel an exultation sweep through you, is a better answer. But someone very dedicated to manifesting, would remain in focus three days and three nights. The amount of time Inanna hung on a hook in the underworld, and the amount of time Yeshua spent in the tomb.

Death, and the tomb, and the underworld all refer to sensory deprivation, a death-like state, gained by total darkness and ear plugs. The point being to lull the upper brain into a hypnotic state so that the image of your focus is carried into the deeper places of the brain, bypassing the censoring of those survival instincts.

Disclaimer: I am not saying anyone should do this. But any of us could do this, perhaps with a second to smack you when you nod off. I've never come close, but I am aware that it is a discipline used by adepts who are more dedicated than I am.

So... Spring Equinox, the time to become like the mother, and be reborn for a new season of life.

7 comments:

White Wolf said...

Merry Meet,
From Beth's site to yours.
Very interesting.

Focusing on Wotan's Cross.
A point of the crossing between past,present,future; earth and sky.

I once practiced focusing for 21 minutes for 28 consecutive days on a Mandala. This was part of an esoteric school exercise.

I wonder if there is anybody out there who can share an experience of focusing for three days.

Native Americans have the Vision Quest where for 4 days and 4 nights one sits alone in a 10' circle in the woods, fasting from food, sleep, and all society's distractions. you stay alone in the woods.

Ostara Blessings
Arie

wylde otse said...

Your words serve your ideas so beautifully.
Ancient Lore, and Myth also serve wisdom.

Relating to your fine essay...
I left a comment on The Archdruid Report (.blogspot.com), Waiting for the Saucers...(the topic had turned to 'time')...regarding a true experience I had long ago.

What I did not mention was that when I escaped from the mountain(from a 'big red X' or 'cross', that I perceived myself to be sitting on);
and returned to the town where I was staying , there were 3 calendar days missing. Inexplicably lost, three days went missing ( and I know I wasn't on the mountain for more than 3 hours, at most).
I don't expect anyone to believe me, in as much as I would be disinclined to believe such a story related to me.
As in witch-craft, the best time to believe is when we witness it ourselves :o)

Lily Wyte said...

Thank you both for your thoughtful comments.
Arie - I think the Native American vision quest is pretty close to what I'm talking about, though I am not sure if they also remain in a state of focus. If they chant repetitive prayer songs that likely counts.
Also it's not the cross you focus on, though if you wanted to improve your ability to focus such a symbol would be useful (I use the unicorn for that reason, to improve my ability to remain in focus), the cross is saying, symbolically, to focus, like a bulls-eye.

Wylde Otse - I do believe you, and it could have been that you slipped into a deep state of focus, though my heart is telling me you had an abduction experience. I have too, and your story fits that well... !!!

Unknown said...

Lily,
As Wylde states...the vision quest classically reqires an isolation of 4 days and 4 nights without sleep, fasting and praying ( which can include chant or song or both) and in some bands no water. Usually there is a medicine man who will instruct regarding proper action. Sweats can be required both before and after. There are traditional isolated locations on reserve land that are for this specific purpose. The general rule is you are directed to a particular location where you must remain until you have your vision. For those of strong fortitude it is easy to imagine what this lack of normal function does to induce a hypnagogic state. When you are finished and have completed your quest you are free to seek council on the journey.

Some of the healing ceremonies such as the Ojibway "shaking tent" and the Lakota "yuwippi" are real mind-benders too.

Lily Wyte said...

I do wish I had more experience with Native American tradition. I know some of the Ramtha students have done the three days and three nights thing at his insistence, as they were discussing it on BTO a couple of months ago. The symbols made me think of it.

Unknown said...

Lily,
Isolation therapy is what all this "focus" stuff comes as under a psychological view. There are no magic answers that will provide you an enhanced "path" beyond what your relevant experience can fund.

I know many folks who have looked to the vision quest to test their "spiritual resolve" just as I know those who use various other retreats. These are all mere tools, and are generally used by those who cannot trust their own "way". I cannot recall, in number, how many people I've met and known who have been through these "doors" only to fall even further from their "bases" of certifiable comparison and end up further "behind" than they would have been.......had they simply used the idea of a little "blind faith". Your "wiccan" path is a good path and the ability to dream/journey in REM is exactly what most who seek knowledge through these kinds of experience want. I know one Metis woman who consistently bounces between evangelical new-age Christian philosophy and 4 day vision quests because she cannot accept herself as her own teacher. She romanticizes "path" far too much.

I'm going to tell another story about a different person's quest in a day or two and how their 22year Buddhist path under a Guru became insoluble. The result was an opening into REM because the timing was right.

You are fine my dear.........stay with what you know....

Anonymous said...

hello from arizal"!